How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi my name is Harisat and I was wondering what advice that

Customer Question

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I was wondering what advice that you can give me regarding tax fraud. My mother recently went to file taxes and found out someone had claimed me and my son. I just need some expert advice on how to go about going after who has done such.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The advice you received is correct, you need to contact the IRS (well, as taxpayer claiming you as dependent your mom would have to file the complaint) and you would have to file a complaint with the IRS for investigation. Here is the tax fraud procedure and forms,,id=106778,00.html

If fraud is found then your mom can sue the party who claimed you as a dependent unlawfully to recover the amount of refund due her.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for answering me so fast. I do not know the name of the individual or their address i have an idea who may have done it though, would that affect the claim? So my mom would have to file a claim for tax fraud in order to gain the refund ?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The IRS will be able to determine all of that information in their fraud investigation and you not knowing who it is would be no problem at all. Your mom would need to file the complaint if she was the one claiming you and your child as dependents since she is the taxpayer.

Related Criminal Law Questions