How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 37790
Experience:  30 years legal experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have discussed my situation earlier to review Ihad a altercation

Resolved Question:

I have discussed my situation earlier to review Ihad a altercation with another guy. I pushed him to the ground. He refused medical attention at the scene, but now says he had three shoulder surgeries in the two month span since the incident. My attorney says she tried to get a deal but said the prosecuting attorney is letting the guy dictate to her. and says the only deal is 6 months jail time. I have never had any previous issues other than minor traffic violations. Can you offer any more advice other than you already have since he says he had surgerys.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good afternoon,

A criminal case is slightly different than a civil case. Your attorney will have to try and prove that the shoulder injuries claimed by the victim in this case were pre-existing and entirely unrelated to being pushed down.

I will tell you that if the victim has to have even one surgery for injuries related to the incident, then there is a good chance that you are looking at some jail time.

A full trial may be the only way that you avoid such a lengthy sentence. Also, if you are using a public defender, you may want to consider hiring a private attorney as the investigation that needs to be done in your case may be significant.

I wish you well.

Please don’t forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,


LawTalk and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you