How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33759
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons pit bull is being accused of killing a cat in town.

Resolved Question:

My son's pit bull is being accused of killing a cat in town. We live on an Indian Reservation. The cat was in the town jurisdiction. The City police officer originally told my son it wasn't his as there are other dogs on and off the reservation that fit her discription. Then an hour later he came and asked for my sons dog and neighbors dog on the reservation to take to kennel. There are times where her and her daughter a pit/terrier cross, owned by my neighbor get loose and wonder and they go looking for them. Is this a civil or criminal matter? What is his best defense?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 7 years ago.
Under the facts as you've stated them it will be a civil case, however I think you are right and they are not allowed to come onto the Reservation and enforce the law under these circumstances. The tribe should have legal counsel who can step in at this point and the DA may be willing to acknowledge this as well.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you