Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

I have just been charged for small amount personal use of marijuana

I have just been charged for small amount personal use of marijuana since i was smoking on my back porch and got caught smoking a joint on my back porch now right now i'm on parol in another county for my first charge of a d u i what do you think i should do or what will be the outcome of all of this or if i can explain do you think i might be able to beat the charge depending what happened?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.

hi

this is a misdemeanor crime which carries possible penalties of 30 days and $500 fines. since you are on parole, it is possible that could be violated, for this offense. then you could face whatever sentence is left on the DUI in addition.

however, most times, because this is not a violent crime, you would be given a suspended sentence, the fine, court costs and have to pay to participate in a substance abuse awareness/treatment program.

because there is a possible jail term and because you risk the violation of your parole, you should consider consulting with a local attorney to help you