Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son left the scene of an accident. No one was hurt, small…

Customer Question
my son left the scene...
my son left the scene of an accident. No one was hurt, small amount of damage. He left because his drivers license was in the process of being activated. His girl friend said she was driving the car because she did not want him to get in trouble, and jeapordize his May 4 Army entry. He is turning himself in tomorrow and telling the police that it was him, not his girl friend. My question is what are the best ways to take this on?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
4/2/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Hello.

If he can afford it, he may want to hire an attorney to go in with him. That way the lawyer can monitor what he says to make sure he only provides the amount of information he needs to turn himself in and not any more than that. Also, if they arrest him, the lawyer can help him get a bail set as soon as possible so that he is not sitting in jail waiting. The lawyer may also be able to negotiate to keep his girlfriend out of trouble and not have her charged with making a false statement in exchange for him turning himself in.

Once he is charged, the lawyer can then try to negotiate a resolution on your son's behalf that will still allow him to enter the Army and won't give him a permanent record.
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer