How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4501
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son left the scene of an accident. No one was hurt, small

Resolved Question:

my son left the scene of an accident. No one was hurt, small amount of damage. He left because his drivers license was in the process of being activated. His girl friend said she was driving the car because she did not want him to get in trouble, and jeapordize his May 4 Army entry. He is turning himself in tomorrow and telling the police that it was him, not his girl friend. My question is what are the best ways to take this on?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 7 years ago.

If he can afford it, he may want to hire an attorney to go in with him. That way the lawyer can monitor what he says to make sure he only provides the amount of information he needs to turn himself in and not any more than that. Also, if they arrest him, the lawyer can help him get a bail set as soon as possible so that he is not sitting in jail waiting. The lawyer may also be able to negotiate to keep his girlfriend out of trouble and not have her charged with making a false statement in exchange for him turning himself in.

Once he is charged, the lawyer can then try to negotiate a resolution on your son's behalf that will still allow him to enter the Army and won't give him a permanent record.
Hammer O'Justice and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you