How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Mary, Thank you for your previous answer. I got another

Customer Question

Hi Mary,
Thank you for your previous answer. I got another question for you. My niece went to Magist. Ct. for eviction and lost. The judge did not give a clear answer except that my niece was a "at will tenant." Now my niece was not late on her rent but the agent has a boner out for her. She made false accusations that my niece was using and selling drugs. The judge would not allow that to be admitted as evidence. My niece is on dialysis for renal failure and does not sell or use drugs. I run a physician's office and I am very close to her. Now the residence or complex being a HUD subsidized structure, is it discriminatory to evict or renew the lease of a disabled person without just cause. Can this landlord be sued for discriminatory practices? I intend to appeal this case. Is it worth it! My niece is on disability so she maybe able to get ct cost wavied
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 years ago.

Hello again. As I noted in my other post, I was off line for much of the evening and this just popped into my in box (that you requested me). Please let me get a handle on this issue also and read the prior Q & A sessions with you so that I can get back up to speed on what is going on with your niece's case.


I will post some answers tomorrow by early afternoon -- and I thank you for your patience. Please also remember -- I have to interpret the law as the law and I am not going to tell you something simply because you WANT to hear it and I will be paid for my time. The legal answer(s) I might give may not be pleasing, however, it will be clear and understandable and I believe that is what you are looking for.


--Mary Meaden

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay. Fair enough
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 years ago.
Hello again. I do not want to leave you waiting on this -- my daughter is ill and I must take her to the hospital (high temp) and so will be gone much of the night unless her own doctor can see her. I will review everything and get an answer back to you later this evening -- 8 or 9 pm eastern
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Listen, we got all weekend to do this! Your daughter is your #1 priority. Take care of your angel and get some rest. I will look to here from you at your convience. I will pray she recouperates quickly and you can enjoy her on this Easter holiday weekend. My niece is sick from dialysis and stress of being unfairly evicted. I believe the Lord will direct our paths.



Expert:  Legalease replied 7 years ago.

Hello Again.. You state that the magistrate said that your niece is an "at will" tenant -- does she have a lease to rent the place -- or is her rent paid month-to-month? If she does not have a lease, then the "at will" tenant statement means that she can be asked to leave with 30 days notice at the request of the Landlord -- and the magistrate is right. There is not much you can do about a general eviction for an "at will" tenant -- the law requires simply a 30 day notice and nothing more.


If your niece were completely healthy I would say that there is not much you can do. However, if you genuinely believe that there is a discriminatory reason for the eviction and you can show that, then you may be able to stay the eviction or at least sue them afterwards. Are they any legal aid offices or disability law centers near you that you can speak to about the case? You really need some lawyer who would be willing to take on the case and try to stop the eviction -- and I am not sure how easy that will be in your area. You could attempt to file the appeal yourself and state that the reason for the eviction is discriminatory due to your niece's illnesses. However, if she does have a criminal record -- no matter how innocent of the charges she may be -- this is going to be very difficult to fight.