How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27109
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was found quilty back in the 80s for a $5 bad check. Is

Customer Question

I was found quilty back in the 80's for a $5 bad check. Is it on my record? and How can I get it off? I live in SC.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.

The bad news is that if you were convicted of a criminal offense back in the 80's it will still be on your record unless it was dismissed and sealed at the time. The good news is that the expungment law in South Carolina says that if you were convicted in South Carolina under the state's Bad Check Law, you would be eligible to get your offense removed from your record. Here is the link to your state's expungement law, which also explains how you would go about getting this done at the bottom of that page.

You will not need a lawyer in order to be able to apply for this, although there are lawyers who specialize in expungement law if you find yourself in over your head or are uncomfortable with the legal language.

Before you start though, you will have to obtain your criminal record. Every person is entitled to get his own RAP sheet. You can do that through the state, or you can get yourself printed and obtain it from the FBI, which has the national state and Federal data base. The latter will cost you $18.

Good luck!

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your Atate for specific legal advice.