How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27104
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i took some products from work and was fired, my company wants

Resolved Question:

i took some products from work and was fired, my company wants paid back $6275 I can pay them $4000 now if i give them $4000 can they still prosocute me on the remaining $2275? i was told once that as soon as I make any payment that it becomes a civil suit and not a criminal, is that correct?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.

You are incorrect. Whether you pay your employers off or not, they are still entitled to pursue you criminally too. A civil remedy does not preclude the a criminal prosecution. They are different matters. The civil case involves being made whole for damages caused by your actions. The criminal case imposes punishment upon you for breaking the law.

If you worked for them for a while and they knew you well and liked you before you took their property, they may simply decide that firing you and getting their money back is good enough. But the fact that you paid the money back after having been caught is not a defense to theft.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your Atate for specific legal advice.

Edited by FranL on 4/1/2010 at 11:17 PM EST
Zoey_ JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions