How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience practicing attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been charged with a class a misdemeanor shoplifting

This answer was rated:

I have been charged with a class a misdemeanor shoplifting less than 24.00 I have NO money so must defend myself. What can I do to better my chances I am very ill and time in jail could kill me I have thought of taking an offenders course will this help and how should i approach the judge

DearCustomer- If you cannot afford an attorney you should ask the court to appoint one since you have a Constitutional right to counsel. You should not represent yourself. You need to plead not guilty to get the case into the system and set for a pre trial It is very possible that you may be able to get the charge reduced but you cannot just plead guilty as then the charge will be what it is.


If this is a first offense it is likely you will receive probation or community service but that is not a guarantee and that is why you need legal counsel. You should not discuss the case with anyone but an attorney. I'm not certain whether an "offender's course" will be successful but an attorney can also assist in that area.


Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions