How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wifes sister got a call from a person who identified himself

Resolved Question:

My wife's sister got a call from a person who identified himself by a first name and claimed he was from a Camden Process Service. He claimed that there is a court date coming up and was looking for information from my wife. Of course, my wife does not live with her sister or does not use the phone number used by her sister at that residence. I can assure you that my wife has never been involved in any criminal behavior or even received a traffic violation. I am just wondering what this means and how concerned we should be. We have not received any letters or calls from any attorney or court or the like related to this or in the past. Should we even bother calling back (though I'm not even sure the person left a number). My wife's sister did not share any information with the caller about my wife. If someone wants to find my wife, it is pretty easy to just follow certain available information on the Internet. Why would they go through this route?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
If it is a process server it is a civil issue. You can call the local clerk of court and see if anything has been filed or you may be able to check online. It is also possible that she is just a witness The best thing to do is to call them back and make arrangements to be served. It is better to go ahead and find out and get it over with. If she is being sued for some reason, you absolutely need to file an answer within the time limit shown on the summons. Once you find out you can come back to this thread if you need more assistance.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Just one note. She was requested to do jury duty about one year ago, but we directly contacted the court and sumbitted information that she was not a NJ resident at the time, and provided documentation (her license) and did not hear back. They had our address and phone number. This could not possibly be related to that? Why would anyone call her sister's number, and what happens to a potential lawsuit if she could not be located to be served? Remember, they have not contacted her directly and we just don't know the summons or the applicable dates at this point. Thanks so much in advance.
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
I can't see where it is related to the jury duty. Anything at this point is just a guess so there is no reason to lose any sleep until you know what it is about. . Try looking up the local court docket or call the clerk.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
And what happens if she does not respond and if she is not actually served?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
If she is never served then there is nothing to respond to. What happens then is hard to predict since we really have no idea what we are talking about.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Based on everything you said, It appers best to wait for any party to present her with something to respond to rather than going on a time consuming hunt of getting information from court clerks. As I said, they have not even called her directly let alone served her. Is this the right path to just wait and see. I won't bother you anymore. thanks.
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Nothing wrong with the wait and see process.
lwpat and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you