Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Can a misdemeanor c charge be removed immediately? The case

Customer Question
was bodily injury and it...
can a misdemeanor c charge be removed immediately? The case was bodily injury and it was dismissed.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/18/2010
Criminal Lawyer: xavierjd, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Was the conviction pursuant to a pre-trial diversion or deferred prosecution?

Thanks

i was never convicted. It's never gone to trial nor was there deferred rosecution

Thanks.

You should have NO criminal history.

However, a background check may still show that there was an "arrest" segment (even though you may not have been arrested, you were still booked when you were charged), and a "charge segment", meaning that you were charged with the crime.

Depending upon what state you are in, you may be able to file a motion with the court in which you were charged asking that your arrest card and fingerprints be destroyed. The reason that you can ask for that to be done is the fact that you were never convicted--in fact the charge was dismissed. There are some states, however, that don't allow this.

Even if you are able to have your arrest card/fingerprints destroyed by order of the court, the information already obtained by any private background check does NOT have to be corrected. They are not subject to the court order. However, any future company would not be able to procure the information from the court or police.

I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.

xavierjd
xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer