Criminal Law

If a pardon by the Governor does not remove, expunge or seal…

Customer Question
If a pardon by the...
If a pardon by the Governor does not remove, expunge or seal a conviction, does that mean that it could not be used to erase a second conviction in order to expunge a conviction that was for under the age of 18... Read full answer
If a pardon by the Governor does not remove, expunge or seal a conviction, does that mean that it could not be used to erase a second conviction in order to expunge a conviction that was for under the age of 18
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/15/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 9 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

hi

first of all, the pardon and expungement are two separate proceedings. in many cases, one needs to apply for a pardon before they can file for an expungement. however, the pardon will not guarantee that an expungement will be granted.

one is at the executive level and the other at the judicial level.

secondly, unless the minor was charged as an adult, the record should be sealed. but if the crime is of a nature the minor was charged and convicted as an adult, and the crime was one that required a pardon before expungement - such as murder, a sex offense or other felony then they would need to apply for that clemency

if the governor grants the clemency then in essence they are exonerated from the conviction but only an expungement will seal the records.

Edited by Samuel-II on 3/15/2010 at 9:24 PM EST
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I was convicted of felony criminal mischief when I was 18, I
I was convicted of felony criminal mischief when I was 18, I am 30 now and have not been in a bit of trouble since. I would love to have my record expunged if at all possible and would like an experts… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
How can I get a misdemeanor (Yr 1975 ) removed from my
how can I get a misdemeanor (Yr 1975 ) removed from my criminal. record in Dallas County ? thanks … read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I have a felony conviction from 33 years ago in florida, can
i have a felony conviction from 33 years ago in florida, can i get this sealed or expunged?… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Stop searching for answers—
is it possible to get your criminal record erased, where no
is it possible to get your criminal record erased, where no one can go to a link, sherriff, police, prison site, and be able to put your name in and pull up your past? And how would i go about the pro… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Sorry I'm using a system called talk type and talk by Dragon...
Sorry I'm using a system called talk type and talk by Dragon... I will say shock trauma and it hears drama. Definitely, need to proofread before hitting send. My other question is regarding my son. Si… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Hi, I was charged with 2 felonies at 17 and a month later in
Hi, I was charged with 2 felonies at 17 and a month later in a serious automobile accident that left me paralyzed. I was convicted at 18 but a lot of my misdemeanors were dismissed but my 2 felonies r… read more
Samuel II
Samuel II
Attorney at Law,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
What do I do to get felony convictions expunged when there
What do I do to get felony convictions expunged when there are no referred programs in New Mexico?… read more
Samuel II
Samuel II
Attorney at Law,
What is expungement, and does it or does it not "erase" the
What is expungement, and does it or does it not "erase" the crime of a minor when considering the number of offenses the person has committed once he is an adult? I asked this question before, and I t… read more
S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq.
Attorney,
I have a dui in Nebraska. I had a BAC of .097, my judgement date was F
I have a dui in Nebraska. I had a BAC of .097, my judgement date was February 2, 2010. Is there a way to get this off my record?… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
can i get a theft class c dismissed and expunged of record?
can i get a theft class c dismissed and expunged of record? I had 180 days deferred and paid a fine and court cost. They was no community service. Will I be able to use my passport and travel with no … read more
Lawyer,
seeking an expungement in indiana and cant get assistance got
seeking an expungement in indiana and can't get assistance got into a domestic altercation with ex husband. i ended up with a felony D criminal wrecklessness and misdeamenor. placed in diversion progr… read more
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
I received a dui in NC 14 years ago; I have always lived in
I received a dui in NC 14 years ago; I have always lived in Ohio. They have very strict laws concerning this. How can I get the block removed? Can I get clemency, a pardon from the governor or secreta… read more
Maverick
Maverick
Stop searching for answers—
I have most recently had a felony dismissed with prejudice
I have most recently had a felony dismissed with prejudice and expunged 3 months laters, I am still stuck with a possesion of marijuana on my record from 6 years ago when I was 18, this a misdemeanor … read more
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
If a pardon by the Governor of your state doesnt allow you
If a pardon by the Governor of your state doesn't allow you to remove, expunge or seal a conviction, rather is a matter of forgiveness, I assume that means that even with a pardon the conviction would… read more
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
Attorney at Law,
Juris Doctor, BSBA
An ex-foster son of mine was just convicted of attempted robbery
An ex-foster son of mine was just convicted of attempted robbery 2nd degree a class D felony. I would like to know if he would ever be able to have that record expunged, if so how long after he is rel… read more
Lawyer,
In Wisconsin you can only expunge a conviction under the age
In Wisconsin you can only expunge a conviction under the age of 21 if there are no further convictions. Unfortunately this is not the situation. It states that a pardon by the Governor does not expung… read more
Lawyer,
My niece and her husband are charged with a felony in NC.
My niece and her husband are charged with a felony in NC. (possession of marijuana with the intent to distribute.) She has never been charged with a crime before. He was convicted of a felony years ag… read more
Mr. Lofton
Mr. Lofton
I have a question abou expungement in Louisiana. Last year i
I have a question abou expungement in Louisiana. Last year i was arrested for simple batter in Louisiana. The charges were dropped a day or two later, and I never had to go before a judge. Subsequentl… read more
Michelle
Michelle