Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was charged with a misdemeanor regarding an assault I just…

I was charged with a...
I was charged with a misdemeanor regarding an assault I just had back surgery with metal implants in the person would not let me go I ended up having to defend myself so he would not only down a set of cement stairs. The next day he tried to pull it a restraining order against me, was denied he was drunk and I did not even know him. After going through the court process a judge found me innocent of justifiable self-defense. I have a clean record but these two charges even though showing I am innocent I still in my record and are being used against me. Do I need to get a judgment of innocence expunged? Or is there an easier way to get this off my record? If a judge found me innocent why should law enforcement be able to use it against me regarding gun permits? I work for the Department of Defense and am able to purchase weapons. I have always been a responsible gun owner I am 45 years old and in Missouri the law states the Sheriff can decide if you have been convicted of a misdemeanor punishable up to a year. I have not yet, yet he used good judgment of denial for restraining order, and the incident that was found innocent of to withhold my gun permit. I believe this is a form of double jeopardy by a lesser authority in the fact that I am innocent should not be on my record nor held against me how do I get rid of it. The person assaulted me broke my back again and I only defended myself to get away all the evidence showed this. What is going on with our country where innocent is not innocent anymore?
3/15/2010
Michael J, Esq.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

When you are arrested for a crime, that arrest stays on your record, even if you are later found innocent of the crime itself. Most states allow an arrest like this, when it is not a conviction, to be removed completely from your record upon an order of expungement from the court in which you were charged. I would speak to a criminal attorney in your area; he should be able to take care of this rather cheaply for you.

Take care,

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael
Michael J, Esq.