How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118307
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am involved in a D.U.I. case in the States but I live in

Customer Question

I am involved in a D.U.I. case in the States but I live in the U.K. I was unable to attend previous hearings or afford representation of a lawyer. I have now submitted absentia forms pleading guilty but I've been informed I still need a lawyer to attend on the day. As the court date is today I realise it is more than likely to late but how much would that kind of service cost and is there anything else I could do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You are not going to find an attorney today to attend a hearing today, not going to happen and if you do manage to find one the cost is likely to be steep. You will need an attorney and you will need to call the clerk of the court where your case is being heard and tell them you are out of the country and need time to get an attorney to represent you. The best place to find a criminal law/DUI attorney is the same site used by other attorneys,

The cost of an attorney to assist you on this would likely be about $1000-$1500, but if the clerk cannot reschedule your case and they add a failure to appear, that cost goes up to about $3000-$5000 because of how complex it then becomes to get warrants recalled and both matters resolved.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”