How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13565
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Criminal Law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an sr22 due to a driving without insurance. I paid

Customer Question

I have an sr22 due to a driving without insurance. I paid what the judge said I owed, but the attorney for the other side who I have been making my payments, refuse to give me the paper work stating I already paid, due to him stating I owe an additional 3000.00 due to late payments. I never receive a receipt for payments, nor any correspondence that state that I missed a payment nothing. Whenever I asked for a printout of how much I paid and missed a month there after he suspends my license. When I asked him for documentation of how he came up with all those additional charges, he couldn't explained asked him to send it in writing he said it will take him sometime. I feel I am taken advantage of.....
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 7 years ago.

Dear delia,


Why are you paying an attorney for the fine? Do you mean you are paying a victim for damages you caused when you were not insured?


Also, it is very easy to confirm when you sent the checks - look at your cancelled checks - you can even get them online if you open an online banking set up with your bank. Once you get proof of what you paid and how you are on time and never late, I would file a motion with the court asking that the receipt of your restitution be paid to the court, rather then the attorney because he is unable to properly account for the receipts, has falseliy reported you as delinquent, to your detriment license-wise, etc. Keep all his letters or emails, if that is how you communicate.


If you only speak by phone, try emailing him only from now on. Or, after every phone call, be sure to send a confirming letter mailed certified r.r.r. so you have proof of what you sent him. You can do that for payments also, if you find he is not depositing in a timely fashion - his receipt will be shown by your cert.r.r.r so he can't wack you with late charges. I would also review your conviction paperwork and sentencing paperwork to confirm what he can charge as 'late fee', if anything, or "interest". Make sure he is not usurping the sentencing judge for his own gain.



Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!


I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks


S. Joy, Legal Expert



My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.