How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have three years probation for a drug offense. I had marijuana

Resolved Question:

I have three years probation for a drug offense. I had marijuana in my car driving through Monroe, LA is there any way I can get this probation lifted. I am home in Alabama and finding it hard to get a job. i am not addicted
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using


When did your probation begin?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
November 2009
Expert:  xavierjd replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the information.


The most important thing to do is to make sure that you comply with all of the terms of your probation. If you continue to do all of the things ordered by the judge who sentenced you, it is more likely that you will get off of probation early. Make sure that ALL of your fines/costs/fees are paid and that any community service is completed. Also, you cannot drop dirty. If you do, not only will your probation be revoked, but you'll end up in jail.


You may wish to try to get your probation officer to agree to recommend unsupervised probation first--before you ask for termination. That way, you don't have to report but the court can still keep an eye on you. Then, as you continue to comply, you can ask that your probation be terminated early. It's only been 5 months since you were sentenced, and the court will most likely think that it is still too soon to totally lift your probation.


If your probation officer won't go for unsupervised probation, you can try to get him/her to agree to let you report less often. Then, as you continue to comply, and continue to drop clean, you can ask for unsupervised probation or early termination.


Ultimately, it will be up the the judge who sentenced you as to whether your probation is changed or you are terminated early. You can always ask for a probation review before the judge, but you want to do everything possible to increase your chances of early termination.


I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.




xavierjd and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you