How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 29802
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested for shoplifting a small amount of accessories

Resolved Question:

I was arrested for shoplifting a small amount of accessories from belk tonight. I was bailed out quickly and want to keep this as quiet as possible due to my family and job. I have a few best friends and family who are attorneys, but would rather avoid telling them at all cost to spare them dissappointment. My court date is set for 3/11, which is very soon. Should I go alone and plead guilty since it's a misdemeanor. Or is it necessary to have an attorney with me? I was told that I can have it removed after a year.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. It is not necessary to have an attorney in any criminal matter, although an attorney can often get you a better result. If you do not have a record, the DA will probably not ask for jail time. Most likely, you would be placed on probation and asked to pay a fine.

If the DA might ask for jail time, you will be informed at the initial appearance, and you'll have the opportunity to discover whether you qualify for a court-appointed attorney.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was told that if I plead guilty then I will more than likely just get a fine and can then have it removed after a year. I am wondering if there is any way possible to settle this with the DA before court or do I have to go before the judge in public city court regardless. I have seen some petty things done like this in the past.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You can reach an agreement with the DA before court, however, you would still need to appear, plead guilty, and be sentenced.
Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you