Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

we live in arizona and this past weekend 16 yr old daughter

we live in arizona and this past weekend 16 yr old daughter was arrested and released to me pending a court date for smoking cigarettes, the police offer asked to check her purse and he found a pill bottle with prescription pills no label and not prescribed to her. Also, she had two water bottles of volka 1 1/2 full 16 oz each. The officer gave her a breatherlyzer and she blew O. I believe one of these is a felony. this is my daughter's first offense what kind of action from the judge can i expect. should i hire a lawyer?

Considering the severity of the situation, an allegation involving underage smoking, prescription medications and alcohol, it would certainly be prudent to have an attorney to assist your daughter. An attorney can help get your daughter through the system quickly and easily and ensure the best possible result.

However, if you can't afford that type of assistance. I have a few suggestions that may help.

The Arizona State Bar Association has a website, it is located at www.azbar.org. The site contains a wealth of information on attorneys practicing in your state.

You didn't mention the county in which you reside, however a quick internet search should locate their site for you.

Similarly, there is quite likely a legal aid society in your area. Again, a quick search should locate them for you.

Any of these sites can lead you to attorneys handling this type of case for little to no cost.

Additionally, Martindale Hubbell is a national organization that rates attorneys across the country. If you need to check into the credentials of any attorney, they are an excellent asset. They are located at http://www.martindale.com/.

It's difficult, if not impossible, to predict an outcome in any legal matter. However, considering her age and lack of criminal history, I would suggest several positive outcomes are available. For example, some period of probation with fines, costs and some type of community service and/or classes would be a possibility. Additionally, many prosecuting attorneys offices offer some form of a diversion program. In such a program, your daughter would suffer some penalties, such as those I described for probation, and the charge would be dismissed upon her successful completion of those penalties.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!