How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the 4th year of a 5 year probation sentence...I am

Resolved Question:

I am in the 4th year of a 5 year probation sentence...I am in a serious relationship with a woman in Canada and planning on moving there ...will my probation be an issue and what is the best way to get an early discharge?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.
Why are you on probation? Do you have any other criminal record (other than the current sentence)? What is your probation officer's opinion of you? Do you have any unresolved conditions (restitution, public service, fines, costs, etc)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
a drug charge in 2005, no other criminal record, no prison time for the offense...I do not have a probation officer...I check in once a month electronically and have been since being sentenced to the 5 year probation...I was a model citizen before the arrest and ever since
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

In that case you should realize this will be up to the sentencing judge and it is entirely discretionary. You will want to file a Motion for Early Discharge from Probation. In order to increase the likelihood of success you should have a local attorney put this together for you.


Basically it should contain a summation of the conditions you've completed if applicable (4 years, successful drug screens, fines paid, public service done, etc). Next it should include the things you have done to better yourself since the time of sentencing (rehabilitation, education, job performance, social and family relationships, religious affiliation, etc). You want to show the judge that the probationary period has worked, that you are rehabilitated, and that you will not be a problem in the future.


Please reply if I can help further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you