Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can a defendant fire his attorney in the middle of a trial…

Customer Question
Can a defendant fire his...
Can a defendant fire his attorney in the middle of a trial because he is receiving inadequate counsel? The attorney in question is willing to admit to same.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/18/2010
Criminal Lawyer: dkennedy, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 8 years ago
dkennedy
dkennedy, Criminal Defense Lawyer

This is possible, but would have to have the permission of the court to change attorneys in the middle of a trial. Depending on the circumstances, it may or may not be allowed. Once a jury is seated, it would be difficult to get the judge to allow a change in attorneys because it would almost certainly mean a mistrial.

But, if I were the defendant, I would do whatever it took to make sure I had competent representation.