Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a summons to appear in court for a preliminary hearing

Customer Question
for charges of obstruction of...
I have a summons to appear in court for a preliminary hearing for charges of obstruction of Obstructing administration of law or other governmental function which they have as a M2. I threw away 87 pieces of undelivered mail into a trash can. 85 pieces were bulk rate mail/3rd class which mist people call junk mail. 2 pcs were first class mail. Then I haves 2 counts oftheft of movable property M3 which it stated I exercised unlawful control over movable property specifically 2 postage stamps valued at 44 cents each. I was a mail carrier substitute, I no longer have thT job, of couse I was removed from postal service actuallymy removal date is march 5th.I have no previous record. I can't afford an attorney cost upfront large fees, having a hard time finding one that takes payments, and am scared what may happen at my preliminary hearing. Can someone give me a little info of what I may be looking at? Thanks for any info.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/18/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Hi Larkspur,

Thank you for using Just Answer. At the initial appearance, you will have the option of entering a plea of not guilty. The offense you are charged with is a misdemeanor of the second degree, which carries a maximum penalty of up to two years imprisonment, a fine of $500-$5,000, or both. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court can appoint an attorney for you at no cost.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer