How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Criminal Justice Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 11 years of practice in litigation including 10 years as a state prosecutor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it worth filing a lawsuit against my local sheriffs dept

This answer was rated:

Is it worth filing a lawsuit against my local sheriff's dept that has taken all my business equipment for an investigation. My lawyer says I could file a lawsuit against them for a conversion and seek a court order to get it back. However he also said that they could file criminal charges and keep the equipment. What should I do to get my equipment back so I can continue to run my business? They've had my equipment for at least 3 weeks and I am unable to run my business.

All they really need is the hard drive to do the analysis they need to perform. If you do not wish to file a conversion action or replevin action (recovery of personal property) then have your attorney contact the Sheriff's department and District Attorney to arrange they return the items they do not need for their investigation.


It is not an ideal situation, but realistically speaking if you buy a new hard drive and ask them to transfer your business files to the new hard drive and then return the rest of your computer equipment they can hardly complain. Again, while you shouldn't have to pay this expense it may be the quickest, cheapest, and simplest method to get your property back and your business up and running.


Another option would be for your attorney to ask them to make a mirror image of the hard drive and return the property pending their investigation. They may be unwilling to do this until they've confirmed an absence of illicit images, but it does not hurt to ask. Further, if your attorney communicates the urgency of getting your business computer returned they may be able to expedite the examinations they need to conduct.


Please reply if I can help further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you