Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a friend who was recently arrested in a drug raid.

Customer Question
She is a felony for...
I have a friend who was recently arrested in a drug raid. She is a felony for drug trafficing. She only had a nickel bag on her during the raid. How is it that she is faced with 20 years in prison now. She gets off papers in March. Her trail is next week. Please help me.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/2/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 years ago
They would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she was selling or going to sell the narcotics. They do this by the quantity of drugs found or by the actions of the person who had the drugs to indicate that they had intent to sell. Generally with only a nickel back, she would put forth the defense it was personal use and most times prosecutors drop these charges to possession. She should have an attorney by now and the attorney should be working on a deal to have it reduced to at least possession.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer