How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 34996
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 18-year-old daughter was arrested for B & E (auto) along

This answer was rated:

My 18-year-old daughter was arrested for B & E (auto) along with two others. I wasn't aware of what happened until they released her. She confessed to the B & E but because she helped recover many of the items, the detective has indicated that he will try to have charge reduced to theft. Her arraignment is tomorrow, and she will ask for a court appointed attorney. Question: Can/should she plead not guilty, even though they have a taped confession?
Thanks for the chance to assist. She should plea NOT GUILTY and ask for an attorney. She can change her plea later, AFTER she has the chance to speak with an attorney. The DA will offer some type of plea agreement...let her attorney negotiate that for her. She has a legal and moral right to plea not guilty and she should exercise that right unless or until the DA offers a reasonable deal...they will.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Should she also request for youthful offender status at the arraignment or is that determined at the trial?


That is part of the plea deal...the attorney will negotiate that for her. I understand she may be nervous...but really there is no reason to be...the first appearance is just that...the court will make sure she has a lawyer and understands the charges...they will set a date in the future and between now and then there will be time to work out a fair result for her case.
P. Simmons and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you