How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a difference between unfounded accusations and false

Resolved Question:

Is there a difference between unfounded accusations and false accusations?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 7 years ago.
Please elaborate on your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
An individual was accused of attempted assault at the workplace. The employer investigated and determined the accusation to be "unfounded." The accused vehemently denies the accusation and any physical contact whatsoever. Did did the employer determine the accusations to be completely fabricated or did they determine that they didn't have enough evidence to pursue legal action and there may have been a possibility that something may have occurred?
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 7 years ago.

Please Note: Your deposit will not be applied to this question unless you click accept. JustAnswer provides me with absolutely no compensation. I receive no salary or hourly wage from JustAnswer. I receive nothing at all for my time spent responding to your question unless you click accept. Your gratuity is appreciated.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

There's no way I can tell you what the employer's word choice means, as different people use different words differently. However, the definition of unfounded is "lacking a sound basis." By definition, that means the accusations were false.

However, I can tell you that, in the American legal system, no one is ever found "innocent." Instead, they're found "not guilty," which is inherently different from innocent.

Assault should usually be reported to law enforcement instead of an employer, as law enforcement is the only party that can pursue criminal charges against a party.

The party that was accused of assaulting a coworker may have grounds to file a defamation suit against his accuser.

Please remember to click accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

If you need additional clarification of this response, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to clarify.



Please click the green Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I receive credit for answering your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. I do not receive any payment at all from JustAnswer unless you click accept.

Please remember: Feedback is left for me as an answerer. Please do not shoot the messenger. My control over the content of the answer is limited by the restraint of truth.


Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in the state for which this information is provided. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should seek a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at or

AttorneyTom and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions