Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

can I have my record expunged, even if I was finger printed.

Customer Question
Pennsylvani; after getting out of...
can I have my record expunged, even if I was finger printed. Pennsylvani; after getting out of college I was busted for growing marijauna in my back yard. And can you do it
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/2/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 7 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

States differ widely with regard to what, if anything they expunge. The good news is that Pennsylvania will allow felony convictions to be expunged. However, the bad news is when they will do it. You will have to be 70 years old and have no further difficulty with the law for ten years after the completion of the sentence for the crime you're expunging. (See Link to Pennsylvania Expungement Law)

Until then, you might want to try applying to the governor of the state for a pardon. While that doesn't remove the offense from your record, it would nevertheless constitute official recognition from the state that you have turned your life around. Your criminal history would reflect the fact that a pardon has been granted. These are difficult to get, so they do carry some weight.

The Pennsylvania Board of Pardons does the screening for the governor's office. Here is where you'll find a sample application form which you could download and work on. There are lawyers who specialize in pardons and expungement though one is not, strictly speaking, necessary.

Good luck!

___________

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.

Zoey_ JD
I did not realize that my crimes was a felony. How can I find this out?
Actually, it may not be a felony. That was an assumption I made as it's cultivation rather than straight possession. Cultivation in Pennsylvania today would be a misdemeanor or a felony depending on how extensively you were growing the stuff and whether you were also selling it.

Frankly, I have no idea what the Pennsylvania law was with regard to marijuana in 1978. Your criminal record should reflect whether the crime with which you were charged was a misdemeanor or a felony. A .call to the court clerk should get you the information or you could order your criminal history from the state or from the FBI

Whether a misdemeanor or a felony, the rest of my answer remains the same. Pennsylvania will expunge dismissals and acquittals but requires you to either be over 70 or dead for three years in order to expunge a conviction.

___________

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD