Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

About 8 months ago my aunt tried pressing charges on me for…

Customer Question
about 8 months ago my...
about 8 months ago my aunt tried pressing charges on me for identify theft with my grandpa and it was dropped however now there is a case open the state vs. me. my friend got a supinia in the mail to go but i am unware of this. what should i do
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/2/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Hello.

If there is a case pending against you, you will want to make sure to attend the court date even if you didn't get notice of it, because otherwise the judge will likely issue a bench warrant against you. I'd also suggest that tomorrow you look into getting an attorney to represent you in court, either by hiring one or applying for the public defender. You will want to do it as soon as possible so your lawyer has time to prepare your case, including speaking to your friend who got the subpoena.
Okay, so on her paper that u got it has the DA name and number should - give him a call?
Hello.

No, you shouldn't call the DA. The reason that info is on her subpoena is because the DA subpoenaed her to testify for the prosecution. You don't want to speak to the prosecution because they are the ones going after you; you don't want to say anything to them that could harm your case. Most prosecutors wouldn't talk to an unrepresented defendant anyway, but you don't want to take the chance. Your lawyer will likely speak to the DA at some point, but it would not benefit you to contact him or her.
I should go with her to the supenuia? Is there anyway they can put me in jail anytime soon?
Well, it depends as to whether it is a court date or it is just a meeting with the DA. You should use the case number ***** is found on the subpoena, call the courthouse, and find out if a court date has been set for the case against you. The clerk's office will be able to help you find out where you need to be and when.
Okay I will do that, if its just a meeting with the DA is can they still arrest me?
It depends on whether there is a warrant out for your arrest. The clerk should be able to tell you that as well. Either way, you should not go to a meeting with the DA if that is what it is.