How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Licensed Attorney for 7 years
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend and I were detained at the door to wamarts exit

Resolved Question:

My girlfriend and I were detained at the door to wamarts exit when we were done shopping. I kept walking while she was detained. I was caught outside by the police and returned to the store whereupon they accused me of stealing a pair of Dr. scholls foot insoles and her a binder. they never found any merchandise and she had thought the binder was paid for as we had made other purchases. The only reason I left was that i am on parole and am not supposed to have police contact. She on the other hand has no policen record. We were both charged with criminal conversion and released. Please tell me what to do i dont want to go back to prison for a violation
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Contact your parole officer immediately. It is better to work out a deal with them before they come looking for you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Im asking legally what can we do? I realize I will have to contact parole, but can I be found guillty when I wasnt caught with merchandise
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
It is unlikely you will be found guilty when there is no evidence to show that you left with any merchandise or that you went past the registers or made an attempt to conceal to take any items. Now if there are surveillance tapes of you trying to hide items and then changing your mind or helping her to do so, then you can be found guilty, because just the act of attempting to take the item is enough.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can she possibly get this off her record with a paid attorney from this area since it is her first arrest? Thank YOU
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Yes she could possibly get it dismissed (by making an agreement to repay any money and not enter a walmart again, etc) or get deferred adjudication where after she completes probation she can get it expunged from her criminal record.
legaleagle and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you