Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My sister is being charged with Grand Theft by Possession.

Customer Question
We just found out that...
My sister is being charged with Grand Theft by Possession. We just found out that a $50,000 felony warrant has been issued. What can we do to make this go away quickly and quietly?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/29/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Michael J, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Michael J, Esq.
Hello-

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.

I'm not sure what you mean by "make this go away quickly and quietly." If the police believe that your sister committed the crime, they will arrest her, question her, and prosecute her to the fullest extent of the law. The best thing you can do is get a criminal defense attorney hired immediately so he can begin researching the case for defenses. There is really no way to make this "go away" other than a plea deal or proving her innocence.

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael
your advice is to just go hire someone else? We're certainly going to do that. Thank you.
How do we go about getting our refund?
Is there another legal question I can answer for you?

Thanks,

Michael
nope
Criminal Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
N Cal Attorney
You can get a free consultation from some of the Idaho criminal defense attorneys listed by location at
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/Criminal-Law/Idaho

Her best move in this situation is to retain counsel and have her lawyer arrange for a peaceful surrender and an immediate hearing to set bail at a reasonable amount.

She has to get a local attorney. The Experts here are not allowed to accept clients, we just answer questions and offer our opinions.

If she does not make the arrangements I suggested, she is likely to be arrested on the warrant on a Friday night and spend 3 days in jail before she even sees a judge. You might think she has only a one in seven chance of being arrested on a Friday but O'Toole's corollary to Murphy's law makes it highly probable that when she is arrested it will be at the most inconvenient time possible and under the worst possible circumstances.

She will get points with the DA and the judge by turning herself in, but she should have a local attorney make arrangements for that in advance.

I hope this information is helpful.