Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was arrested for a misdemeanor theft/ shoplifting, I do…

Customer Question
I was arrested for a...
I was arrested for a misdemeanor theft/ shoplifting, I do not recall being read my miranda rights , do you think I would have a case to get it thrown out.. Also noticed on some of my paperwork that the police mispelled my name in some places.... do those things give any weight any more to possibly getting out of this situation ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/24/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Hello.

Unfortunately, you don't have a good chance of getting it dismissed. Misspelled paperwork are not grounds for dismissal. And not being read your Miranda rights merely means if you gave a statement after your arrest, the statement would get thrown out and be inadmissible at trial; it would not result in the charges being dismissed. I'd suggest if you don't have a lawyer yet to hire one or request a public defender/court appointed counsel. A lawyer might be able to get you a plea that would result in a sentence that would not go on your record as a conviction, such as deferred adjudication.
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer