Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Is it legal to be wrongfully charged and put in jail and…

Customer Question
is it legal to be...
is it legal to be wrongfully charged and put in jail and then they go and get evidence to take to trial.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
If the police have probable cause to make an arrest they can lawfully do so and that is all the DA would need to press charges. Probable cause is a reasonable belief that a crime might have been committed and that a defendant might have have something to do with it.

They don't need much evidence to arrest anybody, so if they have probable cause and a reasonable belief that there's more evidence where that came from, there is nothing necessarily unlawful about what they've done.

._____

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.