Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

What is the sentence for first time grand larceny offense?

Customer Question
What is the average sentence...

What is the average sentence for first time offense grand larceny, in Illinois, for theft of 26,500 cash?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
1/4/2010
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 8 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

In general, complainants on theft offenses want their money back. A person in jail won't be able to make restitution to the victim as quickly and efficiently as a person on the outside. That is why the usual offer for a first time grand larceny will likely be probation. Whether or not the plea bargain will also allow a defendant to get into a diversion type program and keep his record clean, however, is another matter. As theft offenses make prospective employers more nervous than some other kinds, this is something also to be taken into consideration.

To the extent that you can, you should make sure your family member has a lawyer. If he is unable to afford private counsel, he should let the judge know he is indigent and ask for a free court-appointed attorney.

Family member not indigent and has plenty of money. Just being a crazy bitch. I either want my money or want her thrown in jail.

Got the point! It's a lot of money. I'd want it too, as quickly as I can get it.

If you haven't already done this, you should make your feelings known to the DA who is handling your case. He should always be willing to talk to you about it because he's pressed the charges on your behalf.

A prosecutor has complete charge of his case and doesn't have to offer the deal you'd most like, bu he will always take your wishes into consideration.

You still haven't told me the amount of time she can be threatened with. She's a Narcasist. She needs to be afraid or she is not going to budge.

I didn't give you the minimum or maximum for the offense because I thought you were investigating what would happen to the average first offender with a case like this.

Give me a minute to thaw out and find the penalties.

Okay,

I'm linking you to the Illinois Theft Statute. (720 ILCS 5, Section 16-1)

As you can see theft of money or property in excess of $10,000 but not more than $100,000 in value is a Class 2 felony in Illinois.

The penalty would be 3-7 years of imprisonment, restitution, and a fine of up to $200,000.

Zoey_ JD
Now that's what I call motivation! Thanks.

I thought you'd like it!

Good luck.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD