How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 56578
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses with their legal questions
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently being represented by an attorney who has advised

Customer Question

I am currently being represented by an attorney who has advised me to take a plea deal. I am due to enter my plea in the morning however I feel as though I am being forced to take the deal. Can I fire my attorney and recieve enough time to find alternate representation.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
No one should force you take a plea. If not sure, consider before terminating your lawyer, which you can do, is to have another local criminal defense lawyer review your file and see if he or she believes you can do better. If so, then consider a substitution.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know that I can change my counsel and that I do not have to take the deal. but if I go in tomarrow and request to fire my current lawyer, how much time am I entitled to in order to find another lawyer and prepare for trial or seek a better deal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
That is a question that does not have a set answer since varies depending on the judge and sadly often dpeends on the judge's mood and the consent of the prosecutor. The further the case is from trial, and if prosector consents, the more likely and longer the request.

Related Criminal Law Questions