INFOLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses with their legal questions
11313492

I am currently being represented by an attorney who has advised

Customer Question

I am currently being represented by an attorney who has advised me to take a plea deal. I am due to enter my plea in the morning however I feel as though I am being forced to take the deal. Can I fire my attorney and recieve enough time to find alternate representation.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
No one should force you take a plea. If not sure, consider before terminating your lawyer, which you can do, is to have another local criminal defense lawyer review your file and see if he or she believes you can do better. If so, then consider a substitution.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know that I can change my counsel and that I do not have to take the deal. but if I go in tomarrow and request to fire my current lawyer, how much time am I entitled to in order to find another lawyer and prepare for trial or seek a better deal
That is a question that does not have a set answer since varies depending on the judge and sadly often dpeends on the judge's mood and the consent of the prosecutor. The further the case is from trial, and if prosector consents, the more likely and longer the request.