How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested and charged about 7 times. 2 felonies and 5

Resolved Question:

I was arrested and charged about 7 times. 2 felonies and 5 misdemeanors. One of the felonies was totally dismissed and the other felony I got an youthful offender, both was over 20 years ago. the other 5 misdemeanors 3 was totally dismissed and 2 was reduced to disorderly conduct(violation) these was over 14 years ago. I recently took the new york city correctional officers test scored above 90, would this background affect me to getting hired. also, is their anything i could do to remove anything off my record.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using


It sounds like the only convictions that are on your record are 2 disorderly conducts. Do you remember what court you were convicted in?


Have you ordered a copy of your criminal history?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes i got all of my dispositions the two conviction was from criminal court of the city of new york.
Expert:  xavierjd replied 7 years ago.



In New York, under some circumstances, you may be able to have a criminal record expunged, which means the records are destroyed or returned to you. You may be able to have other records sealed so that they are not available to the public. Sealed records may be used in later criminal proceedings or in applications for certain licenses and employment.


You may be eligible for expungement of DNA records and samples if:

  • You have been acquitted, or
  • Your conviction has been reversed or vacated, or
  • You have been pardoned.

If eligible, you may file a petition with the court, and the records and samples will be destroyed or returned to you if expungement is granted.


New York also permits the expungements of non-criminal dispositions (violations and traffic infractions, such as disorderly conduct,, through New York Criminal Procedure Law 160.55.


If a criminal case terminates in your favor, the record will be sealed unless the court finds that the interests of justice require that the record remain unsealed.


IT IS CRITICAL that you speak to an attorney who specializes in criminal law in NYC. The attorney will have to file an application for expungement to the court in which you were convicted. A hearing will be scheduled. The attorney will have to ask that the case be re-opened and the conviction set aside so that there may be an expungement. This is because the criminal matter has to be resolved in your favor to be eligible for an expungement. Further, granting an expungement is discretionary by the judge. The process may be tricky, and having an attorney assist you is well worth it.....especially for the job that you have applied for.


Once your records are sealed, all proceedings recounted in your record are treated as if they never occurred and you can answer with confidence to any inquiry, including, without limitation those relating to an application for employment, that you have not been arrested or convicted.

  • Tell employers that you have not been convicted of a crime
  • Become eligible for student loans
  • Become eligible for housing assistance
  • Become eligible for more types of professional licenses and certificates
  • Tell friends and family that you have not been convicted of a crime
  • To stop fearing or being embarrassed when someone does a background check on you.

I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.

xavierjd and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you