How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steinlaw Your Own Question
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1811
Experience:  I have represented individuals accused of crimes.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Steinlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good afternoon, My son was arrested for illegally entering

Resolved Question:

Good afternoon,

My son was arrested for illegally entering an unauthorized vehicle on December 11, 2009. He was using my car at the time so the police took possession and did not notify me until the 28th of December that my car was going to be forfeited. My son is 32 years old and I don't understand why my possession is being forfeited, I am not a criminal but I am going to be punished for the crime. I have raised my children in church and hoped that when they grow up they will do the right things but I'm not responsible for the decision he made. Why do I have to pay for it. Do I have any rights to fight for my car. Please help me it is my only means of transportation and I need it to go to my dialysis and cancer treatments.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, due to site reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

You want to go meet with the detective and ask for the car. Explain to him that this is your only means of transportation and you need the vehicle. Also have him explain that you did not know the car was being used for illegal activities. If that does not work, show up at your son's arraignment and ask the judge to release it. You may not be able to get it back until after the criminal case if it is being held as evidence. But with these facts, you should be able to get your car back.

Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. The nominal price you may or may not pay for information does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.
Steinlaw and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you