How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SavyLawyer Your Own Question
SavyLawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4300
Experience:  Experience with misdemeanor and felony research
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
SavyLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recieved a class 1 felony 3 and a half years ago. I was convicted

Customer Question

I recieved a class 1 felony 3 and a half years ago. I was convicted in monroe county il. and i was wondering if i can get it exspunged
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  SavyLawyer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for contacting the just answer team.

Unfortunately, a felony conviction cannot be expunged in the state of Illinois. Expungement is generally only available when you were arrested and charged, and the case was resolved without conviction but still on your record. So no, a felony cannot be expunged or sealed.

I wish I had better news for you, and thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Otherwise, please remember to click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work.

Take care
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so there is nothing at all i can do? I am inrolled in a Medical assisting class and reciently found out i cant do my externship if i have a felony, so i'm tring to do something.
Expert:  SavyLawyer replied 7 years ago.
The only option that I know of for a felony conviction is executive clemency (ie having the governor pardon the conviction). Unfortunately, felony convictions otherwise cannot be expunged in Illinois. A petition for executive clemency should be submitted to the Prisoner Review Board (even if you are not currently in jail) HERE.

I do wish I had better news for you, but that is the state of the law at this time. Let me know if you have any other questions.