How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20296
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Fayette County Georgia, State Court. I was subpoenaed as a

This answer was rated:

Fayette County Georgia, State Court. I was subpoenaed as a witness for the prosecution in a case against to 2 acquaintances. The case involves possession of marijuana for both and resisting arrest for one of the guys. Don't know if I should go into the details, but the botXXXXX XXXXXne is both cases were transferred from a local city court to state court. In the interim between transfer of the cases, I moved to Connecticut - 950+ miles from the court. I am not as yet employed and absolutely have no way to pay to go to Georgia to be a witness. Am I off the hook?? I was thinking of calling the court and asking the question, but I also want to know from an outside expert source. I do not have money for an attorney either. One more thing: The 2 defendants are actually former friends. We had a falling out not related to the case (at least I don't think it's related). I have reason to believe they may be trying to blame the incident for which they were arrested.

You must notify the prosecutor who subpoenaed you that you no longer live in the State. If they still want to call you as a witness they will have to pay your witness fees. That would be your transportation, hotel, loss of work, etc.If you are concerned about incriminating yourself, then you can claim the 5th Amendment Right Against Self-Incrimination when you are asked an incriminating question on the stand. You can also consult with a local criminal law attorney about the specifics of the case to get their opinion about any real criminal exposure you might have in the case.
Marsha411JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions