Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My ex-husband is threatening to have charges pressed against

Customer Question
My ex-husband is threatening...
My ex-husband is threatening to have charges pressed against me for rape/sexual molestation. I had an affair with his brother when I was 18 and his brother was 15. This all happened more than 25 years ago. He is saying that if I do not stop the back child support enforcement that he is having to pay, he will have his brother press charges against me. My question is what is the statute of limitations on this kind of charge?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2010
Criminal Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Did the alleged acts take place in GA?
Yes, In DeKalb Co. GA about 28 years ago.

Please Note: Your deposit will not be applied to this question unless you click accept. JustAnswer provides me with absolutely no compensation and I receive nothing at all for my time spent responding to your question unless you click accept.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

In such an instance, the statute of limitations should begin to run when the victim turns 16, according to 17-3-2.1.
http://law.onecle.com/georgia/17/17-3-2.1.html

If charged as a misdemeanor, it would therefore need to be charged within 2 years of turnin 16; as a felony, within 4 years of turning 16. However, the statute of limitations may potentially be tolld for such matters if the memories were repressed. 17-3-1.
http://law.onecle.com/georgia/17/17-3-1.html

It sounds like your husband may be committing extortion, which is a crime. Typically, a person cannot threaten criminal prosecution to acquire a civil remedy.

Accordingly, due to the possible criminal nature of your husband's actions and due to the possible repression issue, it's essential to discuss this matter with your local attorney prior to taking any action.

Please remember to click accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

If you need additional clarification of this response, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to clarify.

Sincerely,
T

_____________________________________

Please click the green Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I receive credit for answering your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. I do not receive any payment at all from JustAnswer unless you click accept.

Please remember: Feedback is left for me as an answerer. Please do not shoot the messenger. My control over the content of the answer is limited by the restraint of truth.

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in the state for which this information is provided. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should seek a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
http://www.lawyers.com or http://www.martindale.com.

AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer