How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 102381
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to get a felony expunged from ones record in

This answer was rated:

Is it possible to get a felony expunged from one's record in Illinois?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Depends - what is the felony for?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm asking this question on behalf of a loved one...mainly to either ease my own mind or just educate it.

But it was a drug charge. Cocaine.
And it was a permanent conviction, not like a deferred adjudication or a probation matter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
From what he's told me, it is a permanent conviction, but I believe he is on probation.

I'm really sorry to be so vague; it can be a difficult thing to talk to him about. But I do not believe there has been any deferred adjudication.

Is it possible for someone to have a permanent conviction for which he is on probation?
That's ok - I got what I needed I think. One can only expunge a record if it was NOT a conviction, but a probationary matter (deferred adjudication or TAC probation), if he was acquitted, or pardoned.Check to see if he has TASC probation. If he does, than he is eligible and can actually even do it himself - no TASC probation or deferred adjudication, then he needs a pardon from the Illinois Pardon and Parole board. Worth a shot - begin here:

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work. Understand that when you put in your payment info, you still have not paid until you press ACCEPT.

Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks so much! You were very helpful!
I'm glad that you feel empowered. Happy New Year, Godspeed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I tried to access the link you provided <> and it appears to be a secured page that to which I do not have access.

Could you possibly direct me to another starting point to obtain a pardon from the Illinois Pardon and Parole board? I think that seems to be the most viable option.

Thanks again for all your help! for me, but had to "reload" the page once. Please try again - it might have been down - let me know if it doesn't work for you again for some reason.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it worked! Thanks so much!
Cool ;)