Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I got arrested for illegal use of telephone because I sent

Customer Question
an angry text message to...
I got arrested for illegal use of telephone because I sent an angry text message to my ex-husband. I don't qualify for public defense and I can't find any information on this law. I also don't understand why my First Amendment rights don't protect me.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/21/2009
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
My name is ***** ***** I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.
It sounds like you were arrested for terroristic threat. First Amendment rights do guarantee free speech, but our free speech is not absolute; not not when you (supposely) threaten someone, just like free speech isn't guaranteed for racism, or insulting someone.
Ely, Counselor at Law