How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was in prison for vehicular homicide for 3 years, in

Resolved Question:

My son was in prison for vehicular homicide for 3 years, in GA. He's been home in CT, for 2 & 1/2 months, to Dec. 5, on parole, & has been reporting to his parole officer. When he got out of the transitional center, in GA, on Sept. 20, he saw a parole officer, all set to come home to CT, & then he saw a probation officer there, paying her $25. He's called her constantly, for these 2 & 1/2 months, never getting a straight answer, & got her supervisor today, who told him the original probation officer never filed the compact papers to CT. They want him to come back to GA. I'm his mother & sponser. I need him~he's my only care giver now. I'm disabled & also legally blind. Help please.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.



he needs to go back. if he does not go back, they will issue a warrant for his arrest. a person on parole cannot leave a state without permission to be received by that state - so GA can and will issue a warrant. if he goes back, they can begin the interstate compact process and he can go back to CT properly.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think you misunderstood. He was allowed to come to CT, from GA, for his parole, since Sept. 20. He's seen his parole officer, here in CT. for that time. He wants (needs) to start his probation, starting Dec. 6 here at home in CT. The GA probation person never sent the interstate compact papers. What can we do to have GA do those papers. We don't have money to have him travel back & forth to GA.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 7 years ago.



i understand perfectly. an error has been made. and GA is responsible for his supervision until CT agrees to do it. if the paperwork was not done properly then he is in CT illegally. therefore, if he does not return they will issue a warrant for him and he will be extridicted, held without bond and a parole board member will have a hearing. in the meantime, the interstate compact process does not move forward because he is reincarcerated.


i understand your situation and the dilemna. but there is no way they can get a temp transfer. it does not work that way. CT must agree to take him - and it is done with interstate compact.


it is unfortunate that this has happened. i just had a client who was released from prison early via error of the parole board and she moved to TN and then when the parole board realized the error they asked her to come back. against my instructions she said no. she made them extradict her and of course it went to court. the court held that it was an error - no intent and so she had to go back to prison and will have a hearing at the legal appropriate time in 2011.


my point is, errors happen. and if your son does not return on his own they will arrest him and extradict him back. there is no magic here. sorry.


Samuel II and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you