How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq. Your Own Question
JPEsq., Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Experience as Criminal Defense Attorney and criminal law professor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
JPEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in Illinois. My ex was released off parole in October.

Customer Question

I am in Illinois. My ex was released off parole in October. He was in prison for home burglary. The same day he got off parole he was put on court supervision for driving a motorcycle without a motorcylce license. A week or so later he was arrested for possesion of cannabis <2.5 grams and resisting arrest. A week after that he totaled his car and fled the scene to avoid a DUI. He recieved tickets for failure to ruduce speed, failure to report an accident, and leaving the scene. My question is will he likely get some jail time for any of this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JPEsq. replied 7 years ago.

The most serious crime is the resisting. If he forcibly resisted, he will probably go to jail for a little while. The possession charge could result in a small amount of time too. The fact that he just got off of parole is not going to make things any better for him.


Unltimately, it depends on the prosector and judge on his case, but there is a good chance he will get a little time, though probably not more than a couple months.


I should say, this is all a guesstimation... the actual facts and charges will make the answer vary wildly.

JPEsq. and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Would a letter to the States attorney help in any way. He is a junkie and in a very bad place and I know he needs the jail time to detox. I know this sounds crazy, but I fear if he does not go to jail he will harm himself and others. This is a small town and the states attorney is very friendly and it is easy to talk to him. Jo Daviess county.

Expert:  JPEsq. replied 7 years ago.

You want him to go to jail? Since you are not a victim in any of his crimes, your input probably won't carry any weight. That said, it can't hurt.


If the victims ask for jail, that is more compelling.