How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was sentenced in 1966. He has served 44 years in

This answer was rated:

My husband was sentenced in 1966. He has served 44 years in prison. The laws pertaining to parole for that year are different than the current ones. He is wondering exactly what the laws were then. He says it was 40 years and/or a fourth of the sentence before ??? Is there somewhere Online or elsewhere I can look?

Thank you, XXXXX is my Website.



the NC parole board was established in 1955. prior to that, the Governor was the releasing authority on all matters. as it stands, only the Governor can release a lifer - albeit the parole board conducts the hearings and then makes recommendations. eligibility to have a parole hearing for a lifer is 1/2 of the sentence. this is based on life expectancy. so your husband certainly should have had hearings. when the members conduct hearings they take into consideration many factors - the nature of the crime, the inmates institutional behavior, the time served to date, etc.


you need to know that parole was never a right - it has always been a privilege. therefore, i find it difficult to believe that there would be any written law that says a lifer would only have to serve 40 and 1/4 of a sentence and must be paroled.


however, to be certain you will need to contact legislative services/library - they are a public service free of cost and they can give you the details and history of any legislation that might have been enacted after 1966 and how the prior law would apply to your husband.


here is the contact information for them - this link





Samuel II and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you