Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

In Californai, when a TRO is issued and the respondent fails

Customer Question

In Californai, when a TRO is issued and the respondent fails to answer before the hearing, is that a defult which I could argue before the court? Or is the respondent permitted at the hearing to now put forth a defense?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

If the respondent does not show up for the hearing tomorrow, the judge will grant you a default and a permanent restraining order. But the respondent still has the right to appear at the hearing tomorrow and present any response to the TRO.

Thomas
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Maybe you did not understand or maybe I don't understand It is my understanding that it is a required response that he has to put on. Are you saying that even thou he did not repsond, he still has a right to present argument at he hearing.
He still has the right to present argument at the hearing. The court will not look kindly on the fact that he did not provide a written response before the hearing date. But the court will no grant a default if he shows up at the hearing. The court will listen to whatever he presents at the hearing, and then make a decision on the merits. Actually, I would not be surprised if his attorney shows up at the hearing to request an extension of time to submit a written response.

Thomas
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I may be wrong, but if I read the local rules correctly, he is required to put on a response if he was going to oppose it.
If that is the case with a local rule, when you appear at the hearing, cite the local rule, and ask the court for a default judgment.

Thomas
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Should not you as the expert given me the answer of the local rules? Or was your intial repsonse just the standard of what could occur?
It was just the standard based on what I believe will occur. If the respondent shows up at the hearing, I believe the court will listen to what the respondent has to say and not automatically grant a default. Courts are reluctant to grant defaults if the other side makes any sort of appearance. So, I believe it is likely the court will listen.

Thomas