How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27749
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a stay at home mother and am dealing with some major issues

Customer Question

I am a stay at home mother and am dealing with some major issues from my soon to be ex. He has filled false claims against me, had me arrested, got a court order for protection from abuse from myself while I was trying to bond out of jail. He has taken everything (house, kids, and money) I have nothing. He took my name off bank account, shut my cell phone off, and has possession of my truck (in my name only) and I have no way of getting it back until judge says so. I have tried Kansas State Legal Services to be infomed they have no funds to help me. What do I do? I'm homeless with no money and have no way of obtaining any. He is fighting for sole gardenship, child support, and for me to receive therapy. How can I do any of those things without employment?? We both decided for me to stay home with our children and I have done so for the past 9 years. We have been married 11 years. HELP!!!!
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 years ago.

Is the criminal case against you still open? Do you have an attorney on that case? If you don't, as you are unemployed and homeless, you should be eligible for a public defender. Someone at the public defender's office maybe able to assist you with housing issues. Further, they could bring your husband's behavior misappropriation of the children and the marital assets to the attention of the court and the prosecutor and ask them to investigate the defendant for his abuse of process.

You can also go to Family Court and get an order from them that would allow you to have contact with your children and which could override the criminal court. The local public defender's office may be able to direct you with regard to that as well.


If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.