Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

In Colorado, what is the typical sentence for aggravated robbery

? This is a first...
In Colorado, what is the typical sentence for aggravated robbery ? This is a first time (caught) offender, but he committed 7 of these robberies within a matter of 18 days.
12/2/2009
JPEsq.
JPEsq., Criminal Defense Lawyer

Aggravated Robbery is a class 3 felony:

http://www.lawinfoboulder.com/colorado_statutes/robbery_aggravated.html

It carries a presumptive sentence of 4-8 years in prison:

http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpExt.dll/cocode/2/2d672/2e0bc/2e403/2e404?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm&2.0#JD_18-13-401

But because it is a violent crime, it has to be encahanced to at least the mid-point, 6 years. 6 years is the minimum, even for a first offender.

http://www.lawinfoboulder.com/criminal_court_proceedings/sentencing_violent_crimes.html

What the sentence will be is actually based on a whole variety of circumstances, including the specific preosecutor and judge.

That said, the fact that there were multiple offenses will aggravate the sentence. There may be mitigating circumstances too though. As a guide, 6-8 years is about average.

JPEsq.
JPEsq., Criminal Defense Lawyer

Because there is multiple offenses, they wouldn't just take the minimum and multiply it by the number, would they? Example 8 years X 7 robbery incidents = 56 years

Because they do not have the actual gun used (just a picture from the video cam taken during one of the robberies), they have deemed it aggravated instead of armed. But the perp was threatening or to use the legal term "menacing".

It depends how they charge him, but it is unlikely that all of the crimes would be sentenced consecutively.

JPEsq.
JPEsq., Criminal Defense Lawyer
JPEsq.
JPEsq.
JPEsq., Criminal Defense Lawyer