How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

charged with a 3rd degree harassment in Iowa. Apparently someone

Customer Question

charged with a 3rd degree harassment in Iowa. Apparently someone used my credit card and email to purchase a "spoof card" which apparently hide your caller ID. The calls apparently were made to my ex. Also there is a recording of the one call that does not have my voice but some computer recording (according to my attorney) Also the calls were made from a cellphone from a different are code than my cellphone. I did not make the calls and never harassed my ex since we seperated 9 months ago. what am I facing here?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

According to Iowa Code, harassment in the third degree is a simple misdemeanor. The penalty for a simple misdemeanor is up to 30 days in jail and a fine of $50-$500.

If you didn't perform the alleged actions, your attorney may be able to defend you from these accusations. Further, if your attorney cannot successfully defend you, he may be able to negotiate participation in a diversionary program whereby charges can be dropped upon payment of a fine and successful completion of a probationary period.

Please remember to click accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

If you need additional clarification of this response, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to clarify.



Please click the green Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I receive credit for answering your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. I do not receive any payment at all from JustAnswer unless you click accept.

Please remember: Feedback is left for me as an answerer. Please do not shoot the messenger. My control over the content of the answer is limited by the restraint of truth.


Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in the state for which this information is provided. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should seek a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at or

Edited by T-USA on 11/28/2009 at 9:45 PM EST