How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 28066
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted of a felony 3 years ago. I embezzled money

This answer was rated:

I was convicted of a felony 3 years ago. I embezzled money from a prior employer by way of padding my timesheet with overtime and vacation hours. I subsequently paid them back every dime plus and additional 15,000 and an apology letter as per the plantiff's request. I completed my community service and paid all other related fees. Can I apply for an expudgment or is there a statue of time I must wait. Or should I request to have it reduced to a misdemenor. Please advise... Thank you
You were convicted of a felony and are done with probation and/or county jail time.File petition to have conviction reduced and dismissed.File a PC 17(b) petition to get felony reduced, and PC 1203.4 petition for expungement




Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If the expungement is denied can I still file for the reduction of sentence. Is there a risk in asking for the expungement first? Could that make the judge scoff at my request to then have it reduced? Do I have to appear in court for this request or just file paperwork? Is there a fee?
No risk, both options are available. Yes, you would have to appear in court once a date is set. Yes, there is a fee that you need to pay to file the paper work but it is nominal.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
At the court appearance am I asked questions with as to why I want an expungment or reduction? Is the plantiff contacted? Should my attorney who represented me be there?
Not likely to be asked but it is always good to prepare a statement for the Judge, to show you have been rehabilitated and that you want to move on with your life and how having this on your record, is having a negative effect. The plaintiff is the State of California, but it is at the discretion of the Judge. You may want to speak with your attorney about helping you with this, so you can make sure it is done properly.
CrimDefense and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you