How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CrimDefense Your Own Question
CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27256
Experience:  10+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
CrimDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been charged with a simple misdemeaner 5th degree theft

Customer Question

I have been charged with a simple misdemeaner 5th degree theft from a local dept. store. I have no idea what is going to happen, i don't know if I need to get a lawyer, I don't know how much this costs. I have never been in trouble before, and I don't know why I did what I did. Do you have any suggestions for me? I am in iowa and the stuff was worth about $22.00. Have I learned my lesson oh yes!
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 years ago.
As a first time offender, you can ask at your first court appearance, if there is a diversion program you can enter into, to case the case dismissed. These programs normally require you stay out of trouble for a stated period of time, pay some fines, perform community service and sometimes take a shoplifters education class. You can certainly hire a lawyer and they can look at the facts of your case and see if you have any legal defenses. For a charge like this, it could cost between $750-$1500.
CrimDefense and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can i represent myself and ask for this diversion program or do I need to higher an attorney for that? What kind of a fine am I looking at?
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 7 years ago.

You can do it yourself. The fine is at the discretion of the court and normally set by the diversion program. It could range from $150-$300, but could be more or less.

Related Criminal Law Questions