How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 20363
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 19 year old daughter got a first DUI (blew .15) in Dickinson,

Resolved Question:

My 19 year old daughter got a first DUI (blew .15) in Dickinson, ND where she is attending school. Is it advisiable to have legal representaion. I think it is a maximum of $1000 fine adn 91 days suspension
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 years ago.

Any time someone is charged with a crime it is advisable to at least consult with a competent attorney. In this case, since your daughter is so young and still has her career and many financial thresholds ahead of her, I would definitely consider hiring an attorney to represent her. These days, many employers and financial institutions do complete background checks and DUI convictions can effect their decisions. An attorney, depending on the circumstances and evidence in the case, may be able to get the charges dismissed or at least reduced to a lesser charge like reckless driving. In addition a good DUI attorney can also often get punishment reduced.
Marsha411JD and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks that is the way I am leaning. At least a public defender I thought would be better than outright pleading guilty.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 7 years ago.
Hello again,

If she qualifies for a public defender then she should definitely ask for one. In addition, even if she were going in with no attorney, I would recommend she plead not guilty and make the government prove their case. You're welcome and good luck to your daughter.